On this site was the location of the first Tobacco Inspection Station. It was given to the City for five shillings as long as it was used as a “Public Judicial Building.”
The first building on this site was constructed in 1787, the second in 1805, and the third was built subsequent to the disastrous 1815 city fire. During the Civil War this building suffered severely from the shelling due to its proximity to the Southside Railroad Station and bridges across the Appomattox River.
The current structure is the fourth market on this site, and it was built in 1879. It is 93 feet in diameter, with corbelled bricks at the cornice cupola and cast iron roof brackets. The City of Petersburg owns this historic building. This structure was prominently portrayed in the movie “Lincoln,” filmed in Petersburg in the third week of December 2011.